It’s no secret that we love animals at Grantsburg Animal Hospital. During this Adopt a Dog Month, we’d like to share five reasons that adopting is a great choice for adding a canine companion to your family!
1. It’s less expensive. By adopting a pet, you can bypass the early costs of puppy vaccinations, spaying or neutering, and possibly even damage to your home from housebreaking! Many well-trained dogs are living in shelters just waiting for a home such as yours - and you can take advantage of the investment others have made into the dog, whether through vaccines, behavior training, and previous veterinary care.
2. History. When you adopt a dog, you’ll be able to get valuable insight into her temperament, behaviors, and learn what makes her happy or uncomfortable. This important information helps you get started off on the right paw, right away! Since rescue groups, foster families, and humane societies have so much experience with dog behaviors, you’ll greatly benefit from this background knowledge of your new companion.
3. You can match the right age to your home. Perhaps you are looking to enrich your home with the curiosity of a new puppy. But since not everyone has the energy or resources to train and engage a puppy, (Although there are plenty of puppies in shelters, too!) maybe you’d prefer a dog who is a bit more seasoned, experienced and settling into her “golden years”. By thoughtfully analyzing your environment and amount of activity you have in your home, you can identify what age of dog would be a perfect fit!
4. Your Health. Adding a dog to your home will give you an extra reason to explore outside in our beautiful Wisconsin autumn colors and snowy treks! Having a dog depend on you for her daily walk and exercise helps give you the extra motivation to avoid watching that extra show on TV and spend your time with her instead!
5. You’ll save at least one life. Not only do you potentially save the life of the dog you adopt, a spot is opened up for another pet in need into the shelter or foster family that she came from. Adoption fees that you pay also help keep the shelter running and magnify their impact into your local community.
We’d love to meet your newly adopted pet when he or she joins your family! With over 30 years in the Grantsburg and Wild River communities, our modern facilities and caring staff will ensure that your new family member is cared for with the very best in veterinary care.
Photo Credit: Pixabay